Friday, 20 February 2015

Hummus and Pitta Recipe

Have I ever told you how much I love hummus? Well, I love it a lot, I love it so much that I decided to attempt to make some myself - along with some pitta bread as what's hummus without pitta? - and I'm pleased to say it was a resounding success!



Whilst it may not be the most aesthetically pleasing culinary creation, it was really simple to whip up and rather tasty, even if I do say so myself, so I thought I'd share the recipe! (I'm also on the hunt for a better location to take recipe pictures, our shiny kitchen worktops really aren't cutting it.)


For the pitta:

250g wholemeal flour
150ml water
2 tsp olive oil
1.5 tsp fast action yeast
 Pitta bread is so easy to make that you barely even need instructions, you literally just add the flour, yeast, oil and half the water to a bowl and begin mixing, continuing to add the remaining water as required until a dough is formed. You then knead the dough on a clean surface for 5-10 minutes until it feels nice and smooth. Once the dough is smooth, return it to the bowl and cover with a tea towel before leaving it to prove for around two hours - until it has doubled in size.

Before proving
After proving
 Once the dough has doubled in size, sprinkle a baking tray with flour and pre heat your oven to 180°C. Split the dough, being careful not to work it too much more and place on the floured tray, my dough made eight reasonably sized pittas (I had to split them over two trays). Bake for roughly six minutes, until air pockets begin to emerge.



For the hummus:

1 can chickpeas
1 clove garlic
2tbsp lemon juice
2tbsp water
1tbsp olive oil
(A lot of hummus recipes use tahini -  a sesame seed paste - but my recipe worked well without)
Again, hummus is so easy that an extensive recipe is hardly required. The most challenging part was de-shelling the chickpeas, who knew they had shells?! This was quite time consuming and involved squeezing the chickpeas until they popped out of their papery shell but it ensured the hummus was smooth and creamy. Once the chickpeas are appropriately deshelled, simply add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.

Those pesky shells
Mmmm hummus

 So there you have it, a super simple hummus and pitta recipe! Let me know if you give it a go :)

Hope you all have a lovely weekend, do you have any plans?

Lots of love,

Heather x

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely looove hummus and pitta, especially together. Great recipe, Heather!

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am a hummus addict as well, I really should try and make my own as it is probably much healthier! The pitas look really good too :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is a bi healthier as you can control exactly how much oil goes in but store bought stuff definitely isn't terrible for you!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. I'm a total hummus addict! I make it every week because I just love the stuff I've never made pittas though but now I'm really inspired to give it a go!

    Carly xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh is your hummus recipe similar?

      Heather x

      Delete