Friday, 9 January 2015

Unbroken

Source
For me, the Christmas holidays are definitely a time for cinema trips. There always seems to be an avalanche of great new films released as one year ends and the next starts. 

Unbroken was very high on my 'must see' list this holiday especially as it saw Angelina Jolie make her directing debut - which did not disappoint! The film was incredible; gripping, moving and totally inspiring.

Based on a true story, the plot followed Louis Zamperini - an American Olympic protege - as he enlisted to fight for his country in the second world war.

A large section of this film documented the 47 days which Louis and two comrades spent on a life raft, lost at sea after crash landing their plane whilst on a search mission. While the slow pace of this section wouldn't appeal to everyone, I really liked it as it allowed a lot of character development (who doesn't love a good bit of character development?!) Flashbacks were also used while the trio were at sea to give a bit of background to Louis's Olympic running career. Flashbacks can often be overdone but in this film they were perfectly placed giving extra depth to the plot without becoming frivolous!

I don't want to give too much away in case you get the chance to see this film, but I will say that Louis's life was by no means easy after he was 'rescued' from sea.

Being a bit of a history geek, I love war films and whilst this wasn't your usual action packed war film, my dad and brother who love a bit of action, both saw it and loved it too.

Jack O'Connell was incredible as Louis and I would now definitely go and see a film just because Angelina Jolie directed it! Unbroken is definitely a must see!

Have you seen Unbroken or anything else over the holidays?

Lots of love,

Heather x









18 comments:

  1. I need to watch a good film haven't seen one in ages . This sounds like a great one too. Great post. xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's excellent, I would highly recommend!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. I don't watch too many films but this sounds so intresting! I'll deffo give it a watch! x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really thought provoking too, well worth a watch :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. I saw the trailer for this and it looked so inspiring - so crazy the amount of stuff he went through! Definitely want to go and see it x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! He's a complete inspiration, I would have given up!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great film, and info want to see it partly because Angelina Jolie directed it aha!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit skeptical at first but she definitely did a great job!

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. Sounds so up my street, cant wait to see it....thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, glad I found this! Definetly followed by me, good luck at uni xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that is so sweet :) thanks so much!

      Heather x

      Delete
  7. Unbroken is definitely on my must-see list! I was so intrigued to see it when I learnt if it bring Angelina's directorial debut and what the movie was inspired by. It's only just been released here in Australia so I'm hoping to see it very soon! Sounds so up my street!

    Carly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh let me know what you think when you get a chance to see it! Angelina did a fantastic job :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  8. Angelina Jolie directing a movie is almost a written guarantee that it's going to be good! I'm so glad you enjoyed this and it's interesting to know you're a 'history geek'.. I used to be heavily that way as well, until I spent too many late nights watching too many war films and pow first accounts, resulting in a massive change of heart. War films certainly aren't for me any more, but as I said, I'm really glad you enjoyed this!! :)

    aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that as I was a bit skeptical at first, obviously she has a lot of industry knowledge but I had no idea how that would translate behind the camera but she did a fantastic job! Thanks for such a lovely comment Gabrielle :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  9. I haven't even heard of this but looks like something worth watching

    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth a watch if you get the opportunity!

      Heather x

      Delete