Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Lunch at The Shard

Oooh this is my 50th post, how exciting! To mark the occasion, I thought I'd share another special occasion with you all!

Last month, whilst in London, I took my friend for a surprise lunch at the shard as my present to her for her 18th birthday.

I was super excited and found it very difficult to keep the location of our lunch a secret but I'm pleased to say that when the time came to reveal our lunch spot, Catriona was just as eager to get dressed up and sample the delights of the Ting Lounge - which is part of the Shangri-La Hotel in the Shard - as I was.


Ting - which is Chinese for 'living room' - was on the 35th floor (128 metres up!) The lift that took us up went so high and was so fast that our ears popped but the view from our table was well worth it!



The restaurant was very posh but homly all the same with luxurious chaise longues and marble tables. The menu followed the Chinese theme of the restaurant - we all know how I like my themed eateries! - with both noodle and rice dishes but there were still sandwiches, soups and salads available.


Narurally, seeing humus on the menu, I had to get it to start. We were served a huge bowl with warm pita and pickled veg. The humus was delicious, very light and smooth, I'd go as far as saying it was the best humus I've ever eaten!

I played it safe and went for the tomato soup as a main, it wasn't bad but a bit of a let down considering how good the humus was. Catriona, on the other hand, was a bit more daring and chose Szechuan Ma Po Tofu which was a sort of soup made with Soy bean curd, minced pork, chilli bean and spring onion and served with rice which she said was delicious.


The service wasn't slow but we had plenty of time between courses to take in the view and really enjoy ourselves.


When we asked for the bill, it was brought with a little black box of treats. There was a chocolate truffle (my favourite), a cinnamon jelly (my least favourite) and a pistachio sponge which was such a nice little touch :)

We both really enjoyed our lunch and it was definitely very special. Ting was pricey without being exorbitant and I would a hundred per cent recommend it for a special occasion or treat!


Have you ever been for a special meal? Let me know in the comments!

Lots of love,

Heather x

11 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! everything looks gorgeous!

    Vievelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a really nice meal! The view is beautiful :)

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fabulous thank you Mimmi! I know, we were lucky that we got semi decent weather too!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award: http://emmalou5497.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/liebster-award-2.html xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you surprised your friend in this way, she must have been thrilled! Also, congratulations on your 50th post :)

    aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, Heather! Just stopping by and letting you know that I just nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award! <3 Congratulations, and this is because I think you totally deserve it.

    See your nomination on this link:
    http://thoughtsintiffanyblue.blogspot.com/2015/01/words-of-motivation-one-lovely-blog.html

    Xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice view ;)

    http://butterfly9999.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete