Sunday, 14 December 2014

The One Show

With university exams in full swing I haven't really watched enough television to warrant a highlights post but to keep in with the Sunday television theme, I thought I'd tell you a bit about my trip to The One Show studios.

The One Show is one of my favourite TV programmes. I love the unique mix of factual, entertaining and serious features that are found in each episode and the presenters, (usually Alex Jones and Matt Baker) never fail to make the programme light and enjoyable. 

A couple of weeks ago, when I was in London, I took a tour of the BBC Broadcasting House, the whole tour was incredible but my favourite bit was the chance to visit The One Show studio. The tour I went on started mid morning tour so we could sneak into the studio before they started setting up for that evening's show!


When we went into the studio, I couldn't quite believe how small it was. It always looks really impressive and spacious on the television, but it's literally the famous green sofas, a few lights, a monitor and then the filming equipment!

The outside, looking in!

We were told a bit about the studio and how the programme is made and then we all got the chance to sit on THE sofas!

The on the day I was down - Wednesday 26th November - The One Show was running a feature about sausages (how many other programmes run features about sausages?!) As part of this, some sausage sellers had set up stalls in front of the BBC building to form The One Show's Sausage Fest. After the tour, I took a wander around all the stalls and tried a few variations of the traditional banger, including a chocolate sausage which was a traditional pork sausage made with chocolate chunks and cocoa - really quite something! As I milled about the stalls there were a few camera crews out and about recording for the episode, so cool! 


I watched the episode on BBC iplayer the next day seen as I had been on the train when it aired. It was funny seeing the studio after I'd been in it, it didn't seem quite as big anymore! There was also lots of footage from Sausage Fest which was very exciting to watch seen as I had been there the day before and tried some of the featured sausages.
I learnt so much about The One Show on the tour, all of which I found super interesting and would happily retell although I'm not sure how much an essay would be appreciated. Instead, I shall leave you with a few of my favourite facts:

1. No guest gets paid to be one The One Show (and they've had some very A-list guests!)

2. The show moved to the Brodcasting House in London in January 2014, it was originally broadcast from The BBC Media Village in White City, London

3.It was originally commissioned for a 4 week 'trial run' in 2006 

4. On average, 5 million people tune in to each episode

5. The show gets a 4 week 'Summer Holiday' each year 

I hope you've all had a lovely weekend, I'm super excited for exams to finish on Tuesday!

Lots of Love,

Heather x


















14 comments:

  1. Love these facts that you shared! I always love learning fun little trivia-like facts!

    Carly xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always love 'fun facts' as it were!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. Hello! My exams are ending on monday really excited to do soo many things that I haven't done due to exams!!
    can you follow me?? Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing to have visited there and seen behind the scenes, so to speak! I love anything like this and yet haven't experienced it myself, so thanks for sharing :)

    http://aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool! I'd definitely recommend a tour if you're into that sort of thing!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. I can't believe that it is actually really small, it's so big on the tele aha!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a amazing opportunity xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fab day, thanks for reading Marie

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. It's so cool you got to visit the studio! It must have been a great experince. The studio is so small too! I think this would have been a great day for you :) x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks SO cool Heather! I rarely manage to get home in time for this anymore but we ALWAYS used to watch it before dinner when I was still in Spain :) xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete