Wednesday, 24 December 2014

Gingerbread House

IT'S CHRISTMAS EVE!!!! The Christmas Snowball has been made and I am super excited! Having just got back from London last night, I spent today finishing off my first ever gingerbread house.

I adapted the BBC Good Food gingerbread house recipe but still used their templates which can be found here if you'd like to give it a go.


Ingredients:

600g Plain Flour
250g Salted Butter
200g Dark Muscovado Sugar
8 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
3 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
4 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon

To Decorate:

Boiled Sweets
2 Egg Whites
500g Icing Sugar
Selection of sweets and chocolate

 1. Pre -heat oven to 180 degrees (Gas Mark 6). Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a pan on a medium heat.


2. Sieve flour in to a large bowl and stir in syrup mix to create a stiff dough.


3. Cut out templates and roll out dough on grease proof paper until roughly 2cm thick. Using a sharp knife and the templates, cut the dough until you have two back walls, two roof panels and two side walls. Any extra dough can be used to make trees, men and candy canes to decorate. Cut window shapes out of the front wall.


4. Place in oven and allow to bake. Whilst the gingerbread cooks, grind up a handful of boiled sweets. After the gingerbread has been in for around 10 minutes fill the window holes with ground sweets and return to oven until the sweets have melted to create 'glass' windows and gingerbread has browned at the edges.


5.  Mix egg whites and icing sugar in a bowl to create a thick icing.

6. Once the gingerbread is firm and cool use the icing to assemble the house. I found it was best to wait until the walls had dried solid before attempting to attach the roof! It also doesn't have to be too neat as any stray icing can be passed off as snow!

7. Once your master piece is secure use the remaining icing to attach sweets for decoration. I used white chocolate buttons to create snowy roof tiles and midget gems to make some fairy lights on the trees and the front of the house.

Tadah!!
I have to say, my gingerbread house is not the neatest or most beautiful thing I've ever made in the kitchen but I am super proud of it and rather impressed that it is still standing!

I'm so excited for everything that's to come tomorrow and I am really looking forward to heading to my grandma's on Boxing Day!

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Lots of love,

Heather x

10 comments:

  1. That looks lovely.
    I tried to make a gingerbread house last year and it epically failed.
    I opted for gingerbread cookies this year.

    Merry Christmas! xx

    http://sarahddavis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh no! There were a fair few times when I thought mine was going down. I'm sure your cookies were delicious!

      Merry Christmas!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. Your gingerbread house is so cute! Hope you're having a wonderful Christmas Day, dear :)

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mimmi, it was brilliant! I hoe you're enjoying all the festivities too!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. This is adorable! Great post, so helpful! Merry Christmas, Heather, I love your blog. <3

    Xoxo http://thoughtsintiffanyblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Merry Christmas!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. Great Gingerbread house!
    Merry Christmas!
    xx
    Coco
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It tastes so good! I'm still munching away :)

      Heather x

      Delete