Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Christmas Coffees


I've done it.  I've achieved the impossible. I've tried every Festive coffee and hot chocolate going in the Glasgow area.

Okay...not quite EVERY festive hot drink, but I have tried a heck of a lot.

Each year, when Christmas swings around, I look forward to the return of  the Starbucks Red Cups and my beloved Toffee Nut Latte. For a good few years I had been in a very committed relationship with Toffee Nut, I'd heard people singing the praises of Costa's Black Forest Hot Chocolate and Starbucks's Gingerbread Latte but my coffee order always remained the same. However, this yea, that all changed with the introduction of the Honey and Almond Hot Chocolate at Starbucks.

My friends were absolutely raving about this drink: "It's magical!" "It tastes just like marzipan!" (I love marzipan) "You HAVE to try it". So, after a bit more persuading, I did, I took the plunge and I broke up with Toffee Nut: "I'll have a small Honey Almond hot chocolate please."

At first, I felt guilty but the guilt vanished as soon as I took that first sip. It was magical and it did taste just like marzipan!

My eyes had been opened, there was a whole world of festive drinks out there ready for the tasting and taste them I did! I tied everything from salted caramel lattes to gingerbread frappes testing the likes of Starbucks and Costa alongside the small local businesses near my university.

I kept a note of everything I tried and by the time I was onto my third variation  of 'Praline' I realised my 'research' may make quite a good blog post!

I was originally aiming for a Top Five but there are far too many delicious festive drinks out there to just note. The best were as follows...

1. Strawberry White Chocolate Hot Chocolate - AMT Coffee 
2. Brownie Hot Chocolate - Costa
3. Salted Caramel Latte - AMT Coffee
4. Honey Almond Hot Chocolate - Starbucks
5. Sticky Toffee Latte - Costa
6. Black Forest Hot Chocolate - Costa
7. Orange Hot Chocolate - Costa
8. Toffee Apple Hot Chocolate - Matilda's
9. Eggnog Latte - Starbucks
10. Toffee Nut Latte - Starbucks


YES, my beloved Toffee Nut is in 10th place! Who'd of thought there would be ten better hot drinks out there??

I was very impressed by Costa's festive menu - as you can probably tell - but I was even more impressed by AMT Coffee which is not somewhere I would tend to pick for my coffee. Another surprise was just how good the festive hot chocolates are. On the whole, I'd say they were better than the lattes!

I tried a lot of nutty drinks: Chestnut Praline Latte, Amaretto Latte, Praline Cappuccinos. With the exception of Toffee Nut, I found that the nut based drinks tasted a bit synthetic-y, which I wasn't keen on so I'll be giving these a miss in the future.

I also tried a few different gingerbread drinks, I wasn't too keen on the lattes and while it didn't quite make the list - which just demonstrates how good the others are, in my eyes - Pret a Manger's Gingerbread Frappe definitely needs a shout out. A blend of frappe mix, milk, espresso and actual gingerbread creates a deliciously unique festive drink. So good!



Do you have a festive favourite?

In other news, my exams are fiiiiinally over and I can properly get excited for Christmas now, only eight more sleeps!

Lots of Love,

Heather x


17 comments:

  1. to be honest I haven't tried anything this year yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally don't try many but I made a special effort this year!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. Love this post, I get so excited about the festive drinks! I keep on meaning to try the honey & almond hot chocolate, but always fancy coffee :( Will definitely have to make time to give it a go!

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I don't tend to like hot chocolates from the likes of Starbucks and Costa but their flavoured ones are incredible!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. This was such a fun post xx

    http://sarahddavis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried any of these but they all sound incredible! Wow - I'd love to try some out! x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you get round to trying any :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. Wow, you've tried so many! I've only had the almond & honey hot chocolate from Starbucks and then the gingerbread latte and the orange hot chocolate from Costa. Definitely going to attempt to try a few more before the festive season is over though!

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took my research very seriously haha! The morning commute provides an excellent opportunity for coffee. Let me know what you think if you manage to!

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. loving the costa cups this year. xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're fab! Much better than Starbucks.

      Heather x

      Delete
  7. Ah so many festive drinks! I really need to try some more of the hot chocolates, the brownie one from costa sounds so good! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh it is delicious and very indulgent! Let me know what you think if you try it! Thanks for reading Jasmin

      Heather x

      Delete
  8. These look amazing, thanks for sharing

    Please let me know if you would be interested in following eachother on GFC and Bloglovin.Would love to stay in contact.

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds so nice!! Must have really gotten you into that Christmas spirit :)

    - Whitney
    http://whitnibble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete