Thursday, 11 December 2014

A Whole Heap of Snow - Throwback Thursday

It's only two weeks until Christmas!!!! It's also time for another Throwback Thursday!

Despite being the day of my first ever real, live, proper university exam, today was rather exciting; I witnessed my first snowfall of winter 2014! However, by this time four years ago, in 2010, it was a bit of a different story, Scotland was already covered in a thick blanket of snow.

The snow started on a Sunday, the same Sunday as my winter dance show. I remember having to set off about 40 minutes before I had to be at the school, where the dance show was being held, because the heavy snowfall had already made the roads treacherous - the school is only about 10 minutes away by car! 

I have a distinct memory of waking up in a panic the following morning certain I was going to be late for school as my parents hadn't shouted me awake. It turned out that so much snow had fallen over night that school was cancelled. In fact, so much snow continued to fall that school ended up being cancelled for a whole week!

As I was 14 at the time, I didn't have any Christmas exams to worry about like some of the older pupils. The days off school were spend sledging, drinking lots of hot chocolate, trekking through shin high snow to the other end of town to meet up with friends and ploughing my way to the shops to run errands for my elderly neighbour.

Linlithgow loch completely froze over and was so solid that you could walk from one side to the other. Instead of going for a family walk round the loch, we went for a family walk across it!

I know a lot of people, especially the adults, found the extreme snowfall an inconvenience: roads were shut, people couldn't get to work and shops ran low on stock. However, I absolutely loved it! I have such fond memories of this week and would be more than happy to see a snowfall like it again - maybe this time it could last until Christmas day!



My rabbit playing in the snow!

Have you ever experienced a white Christmas?

Lots of Love,

Heather x



14 comments:

  1. OMG I love the pic of your rabbit. :) I miss my bunny .
    I think I have seen like one white Xmas and I can't even remember when that was. I hope your first ever exam went well xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Marie :) maybe we'll get a white Christmas this year!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. Holy cow! You got a ton of snow!!!! That's awesome. Would you like to follow each other on GFC?! Let me know and follow me on my blog, I will follow you right back on both GFC and Bloglovin!
    xx
    Annie
    www.the-lostangeles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a really snowy Christmas in 2010 as well, and it was amazing. I adore snow. It just makes winter time so much more bright and beautiful! Crossing my fingers that we'll get snow this year...

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets hope so! It just makes the time of year even more magical!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is A LOT of snow! I live in Ohio. We don't always have a white Christmas, but mother nature usually makes up for it the rest of the winter!

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was quite an exceptional year for us, I'd love to live somewhere where a lot of snow was guaranteed each year. Thank you so much for reading!

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. I love the snow. It makes everything look so much more beautiful. It would be amazing to get a white Christmas! Love the phootgraphs. Your little bunny rabbit is so gorgeous! x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the snow too, makes everything seem so magical! Thank you, that's little Hutch :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. I love your blog
    Please check mine --> My lips are Poison
    Hope you can have a look at my blog. If you wanna follow each other, comment in my blog when done.

    xx
    Ly♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such an adorable rabbit! I never experience a White Christmas because my country is right in the middle of a tropical climate, so it's always either rainy or really hot. So we don't get winter therefore never any snow :( But one day I'd love to travel somewhere where it's winter so I can have a White Christmas as well.
    Really nice post, anyway! <3 Thanks for sharing

    Xo http://thoughtsintiffanyblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hot Christmas seems so crazy to me but just like you'd love to experience a White Christmas, I'd love to experience a hot one!

      Heather x

      Delete
  8. That looks lovely. Sadly, I have lived in hot countries my entire life and have never experienced a white christmas.
    Your rabbit is exceptionally cute btw x

    http://sarahddavis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot Christmas seems so odd! I've lived in Scotland all my life but I've never actually experienced a white christmas!

      Heather x

      Delete