Sunday, 23 November 2014

The Best Burritos

Hidden at the end of potentially the cutest side street in Glasgow - Ashton Lane - is Tomboy, a quirky Mexican restaurant which is home to the best burritos I have ever eaten (and I've eaten a lot of burritos.)

                  

                                  

Not only is the food delicious but Tomboy is unique and full of character. I mean where else do you place your orders at a till housed in a truck?!


I have done nothing but rave about this little restaurant ever since I first discovered it. I have been dying for a chance to go back so last week, I decided to introduce one of my best friends, Freya, to the wonder that is Tomboy. Freya is one of the most lovely, supportive and positive people I know so an evening out with her is always fab and I'm happy to report that she liked the burritos as much as I did.

When you arrive at Tomboy, instead of waiters taking your order, you get to fill out a little form so your dish is exactly how you like it.  I think this is such a nice touch and definitely adds to the whole experience.
 With the burritos - my personal preference - you can choose from BBQ beef, chilli chicken, chilli beef or vegetable chilli and then add your choice of lettuce, rice, beans, cheese, sour cream, salsa and guacamole. The guacamole is especially tasty :)


My favourite combination is vegetable chilli with lettuce, rice, beans, guacamole and mild salsa...so good! 

 The burritos are delivered all wrapped up to keep the goodness in. However, unwrapping them and eating them tends to get a bit messy...

mmmmmmmm

The burritos are stuffed full making them a complete meal in their selves. The vegetable chilli and salsa are very saucy which is great for me and the guacamole is so creamy and delicious. You get the impression that the chefs take their burritos very seriously!

If you're one for spice, there is also a hot sauce challenge, the sauce is apparently so hot, you're required to sign a waiver before you try it! Another Tomboy quirk.

Freya didn't fancy appearing on the blog so here's me with my burrito instead!
I think the restaurant is supposed to have a bit of a scrap yard theme going on which is really cool. Gratified, corrugated iron is used on the back wall while old hose pipes and metal railings form the backs of the benches (don't worry, this is much comfier than it sounds!)




The staff are lovely, the place is cosy and the prices are pretty reasonable making Tomboy the perfect mid-week pick me up! 
If Mexican food is your thing, I would ten out of ten recommend!

Do you have a favourite restaurant? Let me know in the comments!

Lots of Love,

Heather x





30 comments:

  1. Haha, I love how we both posted about Ashton Lane on the same day! Oops.
    I've never been to Tomboy, but it seems lovely :) Love a good burrito.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this is the second time this has happened! It's sooo good! I've never been to Ketchup!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. mmm my mouth is watering just reading about them! Great post.
    www.styleandbeautyforless.co,uk
    ^MAC Giveaway^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I rather enjoyed them!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. Yummy!!! I'm such a fan of burritos!! My fiance and I make really yummy, tasty, healthy ones just about weekly. This post is making me want them for tonight's dinner!

    Carly xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burritos are such a good potentially healthy dish as you can be so creative with what you put in them!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. Give me the burritos! I think you picked what I would have too :) I love the decor in there too.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cute and quirky! And definitely the best combination!

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. hmm this looks really good! I'm craving burritos now haha :P

    Ana Céline Labod

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks so cute and fun! and tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this place looks amazing! The burritos look amazing too! Great post <3

    http://beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooo Looks amazing.
    I am sooooo hungry right now I could just munch that burrito hehe xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sooo good, especially when you're hungry!

      Heather x

      Delete
  9. I love burritos and that restaurant looks SO cool! love the theme :) x

    Dreaming Again

    ReplyDelete
  10. The place looks so cool.. and those burritos also look delicious... great post!!!!
    Xoxo

    www.mysteriousblogger21.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were amazing, I'll be going back again very soon!

      Heather x

      Delete
  11. Nice post. I love street food. I just can't resist myself from tasting street food. Street is the place where we get exact taste

    GOSF
    http://www.trendin.com/gosf/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I totally agree, street style food is the best!

      Heather x

      Delete
  12. This looks like such a quirky place - I love it! I've never actually eaten a burrito! x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness!! That has to change!They're soooo good

      Heather x

      Delete
  13. Ashton Lane is one of my favourite places in Glasgow, it's so pretty! We're planning a visit in the New Year and I would love to visit Tomboy, it's really quirky and different! Plus I'm fussy so I like the fact you can pick every ingredient!

    http://www.scottishoutlander.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful! Aw that would be so nice if you managed to try it out! I'm very picky too so this suits me down to the ground!

      Heather x

      Delete