Sunday, 9 November 2014

The Berlin Wall

Last summer, our family holiday took us on a tour of Germany and Poland and allowed us a few amazing days in Berlin. Berlin is one of the most interesting cities I have ever been to and is place to which I would love to return.

The capital of Germany, Berlin, is home to three and a half million people and is famous for it's history and perhaps most notably, the Berlin Wall.


In August 1961, construction began on the Berlin Wall. The aim of the wall was to separate West Berlin from East Berlin. The East and the West were run by separate governments and the East government did not want Westerners entering the East and undermining it's regime.


The wall ran for 96 miles around East Berlin, was 12 foot high and 4 foot thick. It separated families and friends and was a violation of human rights. Attempts at escape from East Berlin claimed the lives of over 170 people.


The wall was in place for 28 years but on the 9th November 1989, 25 years ago today, the Berlin Wall fell reuniting the East and the West. 

The wall was decorated with graffiti showing the discontent of the people. This can still be seen on sections of the wall that remain standing and was something which I found very moving on my visit. I felt today was a very appropriate day to share these photos with you.






I hope you've all had a lovely weekend! Have your travels ever taken you to Berlin?

Lots of Love,

Heather x

20 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing photographs, and a really well-timed post! Well done! :)

    Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Berlin this summer and I absolutely loved it. It's such a vibrant, interesting city, full of so much history.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, I feel you could spend a very long time there and still never really see it all!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. i have been there! i went around christmas once. maybe 2005?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly had no clue about the history of the Berlin Wall - I know what it was, I just didn't know a lot about it. Thank you for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash! Berlin is so interesting :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful blogpost. I'd love to visit Berlin. X
    www.lemontierres.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I would highly recommend it!

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. I would love to go and see the Berlin wall. Thank you for sharing this.

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing my partner would love to go somewhere like this. Loved the pictures xox

    http://rainbowsandunicorns27.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I would highly recommend Berlin :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  8. I'm not from Berlin but from germany and glad you like your visit :)
    Actually there's not much left from the wall but the feeling when you imagine that someone split these areas only with such a small thing is kinda weird too. If you're interested in art it's now a little gallery haha

    http://marygolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, I didn't know that! The whole concept of it is so crazy and interesting, I thought it was really good to see it.

      Heather x

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It was such a good experience :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  10. What a great place to visit! Would love to go there myself one day x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go back, it was that good!

      Heather x

      Delete