Thursday, 20 November 2014

Mockingjay at Midnight


Ever since The Hunger Games: Catching Fire finished on such a dramatic cliffhanger, Mockingjay Part 1 has been a highly anticipated film. 
Having read the book - multiple times - I knew exactly what came after the cliffhanger however, this did nothing to suppress my excitement for the release of the third installment in the franchise.

Even more exciting than just the release was the fact that me and my friends would be attending the midnight showing!


Armed with a blanket and a big bag of popcorn, we set off around 11.30pm for Cineworld in Falkirk. Upon arrival, we were very happy to see that Starbuck's was still open and filled up on coffee to ensure there was no nodding off - though, this being a Hunger Games premiere, the chances of falling asleep were slim!

Everyone in the foyer was just as excited as the three of us which made for a great atmosphere. 


I took a fair few pictures however I was obviously a bit too tired as these three are the only vaguely usable ones!
I'm not going to lie, I was pretty sceptical when I heard the final book was going to be split into two films. As amazing as the  book is - the second time around, the first time, the ending left me a bit too numb to fully appreciate it - it starts off pretty slow, so I was a bit worried about the first installment being boring. I can assure you right now, this film was anything  but boring.

The film sees Katniss Everdeen progress to figurehead of the rebellion while President Snow tries to quell the unrest in the most inhumane ways possible. In terms of story line, not a lot happens however the clever use of camera angles and lighting makes everything seem so intense and exciting. I was honestly on the edge of my seat throughout and despite the film finishing at about 2.45am, I was left feeling wide awake!

For me, as an 18 year old girl, there was a distinct lack of Peeta Mellark - though Sam Claflin as Finnick did compensate a little! However, the scenes that did involve Peeta were almost too painful to watch due to the fantastic performance by Josh Hutcherson and Suzanne Collins's ruthless story line! 

This film is definitely very different to the previous two, there is no longer the glitz and glamour of The Capitol, this film is about war and rebellion and is very, very good!

Mockingjay: Part 1 was such a brilliant adaptation, I cannot recommend it enough and could definitely rant about it for a lot longer. It had me laughing (thank you Haymitch!), on the brink of tears and on the edge of my seat and as the credits began to role, the whole audience felt the need to sit in silence for a moment to process just what had happened. All I can say is roll on part 2!

Are you off to see Mockingjay this weekend? Or have you already seen it? What did you think?

Lots of Love,

Heather x



2 comments:

  1. I saw it yesterday, and ohmygod it was amazing. I was literally shaking by the end. The ending was just so horribly (but amazingly well made) heartbreaking! Even though I knew what was coming.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! The ending! I just literally can't! Glad you enjoyed it!

      Heather x

      Delete