Thursday, 13 November 2014

Jacobite Train Trip - Throwback Thursday

It's Thursday! It's almost the weekend and it's time for another throwback!

I may or may not have mentioned that I'm rather fond of Harry Potter. As such, I had always wanted to visit the Glenfinnan Viaduct which is the viaduct that the Hogwart's Express goes over in the films. At the start of September, me and my mum headed up north to visit a friend who has just moved up there and we were able to squeeze in a trip on the Jacobite steam train which goes over the viaduct - SO cool!

The train leaves from Fort William which is very conveniently only half an hour away from our friend's home in Appin.


We drove from Linlithgow to Appin along the Glencoe road. The views were absolutely breathtaking and we had to stop a fair few times for photos.



I discovered that no matter where you are in The Highlands, the views are spectacular. The picture above is the view right outside our friend's front door! The area was so peaceful and I can totally see the appeal to living there.


Despite the beauty of Appin, I was super excited to head to Fort William for the train ride. The train left Fort William at 10am and took us on a two hour journey up to Mallaig.


 Four hours on a train might not be everyone's idea of a fun day out but me and mum both loved taking in the amazing views.


 The viaduct also added a fair bit of excitement! I had to literally hang out of the window to get a decent photo but the dusting of soot I took was worth it.

Recognise it??
Source
We didn't actually stop at Glenfinnan but the station was so cute and traditional.


We did stop at Mallaig, a port village on the west coast. Mallaig was full of little shops and cafes, perfect for a spot of lunch and a little mooch about. However, whilst we were there, the weather took a turn for the worst and so neither me nor mum were up for hanging around taking photos.

The return train journey was just as stunning and thankfully the weather brightened up again for some more pictures.

And the viaduct was no less exciting the second time around!
It wasn't just me hanging out the window!
I had an absolutely fab day on the train (as would any potterhead!) and it was so good to get to see a stretch of the Highlands - which is something the *gasp* non-potterheads out there can enjoy too! 

Have you ever been to the Scottish Highlands? Or even on the Jacobite railway?

Lots of Love,

Heather x

12 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I love Harry Potter as well! Great blog post :)

    Becky, x
    http://undertheseabeauty.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic way to see the beautiful highland scenery! I've been to Glenfinnan Viaduct but I would absolutely love to go on the Jacobite railway and see the view from the tracks. I didn't know it stopped at Mallaig ether. You could easily hop of the ferry to Skye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it, especially for someone who enjoys the outdoors! Oh I've always wanted to go to Skye, it is definitely on the list!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! I really want to do this, not only to experience the "Hogwarts Express" but also to the Highlands. They're incredibly beautiful :)

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are, a trip up north is a necessity when in Scotland!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. Wow, the pictures are so beautiful <3 it sounds like you had a great day. xx

    http://beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's hard to believe it really is Scotland!

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. I've never been to Scotland and clearly I'm missing out! Your pictures are completely gorgeous and I did spit a bit of tea out when I realised that was THE viaduct. Fabulous.
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely are! Thank you! It's so cool right?!

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. Lovely post, thanks for sharing! <3

    I'm your newest follower, please check out my blog if you can;

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will! Thanks for stopping by!

      Heather x

      Delete