Saturday, 29 November 2014

A Very Exciting Wednesday

Instead of heading to my history and theatre lectures on Wednesday, I headed to London. Out of everywhere I've been in the world, London remains my favourite place but this trip wasn't just a little holiday...


A while back, I applied for a BBC insight event which would allow the successful applicants a chance to take a look inside the BBC and pick the brains of some industry professionals. Anything you apply for within the media industry, be it jobs, work experience or skills days, tends to be very competitive so I was over the moon when I was picked for this, especially because it was with The BBC!

Given I have mandatory tutorials on a Thursday, I thought the logistics of this trip might have been a bit difficult but I managed to sort it so that I could fly down early Wednesday morning and get the train back up that same night. 


I'm not much of a morning person, but when my alarm went off at 5.15am on Wednesday I positively sprang out of bed. This trip was going to be my first proper adventure; I had arranged it all by myself and I was so excited!

My dad dropped me off at the airport where I successfully navigated security and found the right plane. I love flying but I was a tiny bit apprehensive about negotiating the airports by myself luckily though, everything went to plan.

                 


The flight was just over an hour but the real adventure started when I got off the plane as I had never been to Stansted airport before. I had to get the train to central London and from there make my way to The Broadcasting House which is the main BBC building. 


The insight event was an afternoon thing but I decided to book onto a building tour like the one I went on in Glasgow as I had enjoyed it so much. The tour was amazing and so different from the Pacific Quay one, but that's for a whole other blog post!

After the tour I had an hour before the insight event so I headed to Oxford Street for a look at the shops and the Christmas lights. I'd heard a lot about the decorations in London, especially the ones at Selfridges and I was not disappointed, they were incredible! Seen as it was still light, I didn't get to see the lights in all their glory. However, me and a friend are being treated to a trip to London for her 18th just a few days before Christmas so I'm very excited to see them all then!

This is only one section of Selfridges' decorations!
The actual event was fab and we all found ourselves hanging back way after it was supposed to finish to hear more exciting stories and helpful advice.

I didn't have very long between the end of the event and my train home but I spent the time I did have wandering around some of my favourite sights and taking in London's brilliant atmosphere.




The day was long and tiring but so much fun and so rewarding all the same! I was sad to leave the excitement and Christmas buzz of London but I was also very thankful for a chance to sit down on the train home with a brownie hot chocolate (hats off to Costa for this one!) 



It was 12.30 before I finally made it home and my parents were all too happy to tell me how surprised they were that everything had worked out - rude! 

I love days like these, when you're on the go none stop and fall into bed feeling like you've really made the most of the day - something I was aiming to do more often this November!

Do you have an adventure to share?

Hope you're enjoying the weekend!

Lots of Love,

Heather x











22 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing time , great pictures. xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fab thanks! Thanks for reading Marie!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. This looks great! Glad you had a fun time. :)
    http://www.faunalou.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) and thanks for reading!

      Heather x

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! London is such an amazing city :)

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredible! It's my favourite place!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a great time! Your pictures are fab! London looks such a great place to visit this time of year too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing to be there when everything was so Christmassy! Thanks for reading!

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. love all the snaps! especially the snowman coffee cup.... christmas in a cup!

    I was in oxford street this weekend... so manic!

    Love LC

    luckypretty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the cup really brightened my morning! I love Oxford Street but it was super busy when I was there too!

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. I love all your pictures! It sounds like you had such an amazing trip! And to go and visit the BBC? That would have been so cool!

    Carly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! So interesting and such a good experience!

      Heather x

      Delete
  7. Just stumbled upon your blog! London looks really amazing, I wish I could go there someday! Did you had fun? :)

    www.maviseu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thank you, it was amazing! I'd highly recommend London! Where are you from?

      Heather x

      Delete
  8. Sounds like such an adventure! And I agree that London has such a fantastic Christmas buzz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I can't believe everything worked out!

      Heather x

      Delete
  9. london at christmas was one of my fave memories. so glad to hear it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm so excited to go back at the end of December, feel so lucky!!

      Heather x

      Delete
  10. An amazing post! What an amazing time! I'd love to visit London in time for Christmas :) x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so excited to go back!

      Heather x

      Delete