Tuesday, 25 November 2014

A Day at the Spa

As exciting and amazing as Christmas is, life tends to get a bit hectic around this time of year so it's nice to find time to relax. This weekend, myself and my mum were treated to a fabulous spa day package at McDonald Houston House Spa in Livingston. 
With my first set of university exams looming, an opportunity to spend the day lounging around the pool and being pampered was just what I needed.

               

 Upon arrival, we were presented with fluffy robes and towels and our plan for the day. We were given coffees in the homely dining area and then were shown around the spa before being left to our own devices!

Our first treatments were at 11am so we spent half an hour by the pool before heading up to the Relaxation Room.


I think the Relaxation Room was my favourite room in the spa. This was a candle lit room with a handful of loungers and a selection of magazines where you could wait before your treatment. Each lounger had a cushion and blanket for optimum comfort which was very nice indeed. There was a water feature in the corner and relaxing music which took inspiration from 'sounds of nature' including cow's moos - I kid you not! 


The treatment rooms were very beautiful, I cannot even begin to describe how comfortable those beds and fluffy duvets were! Our first treatments were massages which were so relaxing that I nearly fell asleep! Afterward, we headed back to the Relaxation Room to chill for a bit before our 12pm lunch.
The carrot cake was my favourite part!
Lunch was a 'Healthy Lunch Box' which we both agreed was delicious. I opted for grilled chicken with lime couscous and carrot cake and my mum went for salmon and eton mess. Each box also contained veggie sticks, a garlic creme dip and a selection of fresh fruit. 

Eating lunch in our robes just added to the experience - I really wish robes were a generally acceptable clothing choice as spending the day in a robe was fab!

Following lunch, we headed back out to the pool to read our books and relax before our facials - I may or may not have nodded off for half an hour!

Both me and my mum thought the facials were amazing and couldn't believe how fresh and glowy our skin looked after. I have a terrible skincare routine but having it all done properly for me has motivated me to put in a bit more effort, we'll see how long that lasts...
The facials definitely have a lasting effect as even now, three days later, my skin feels much softer and looks much better than usual. The facials included a deep cleansing balm, exfoliation, a mask, toner and an arm massage! Who knew how much tension I had in my arms?!

Feeling super relaxed, we spent a bit longer in the Relaxation Room then headed down to the pool. The pool area had huge glass windows that looked out onto the rolling countryside which just added to the overall experience.This time we actually braved the water (despite having already been there for about five hours) and made full use of the steam rooms and sauna.

The staff were all incredibly nice and did everything possible to ensure our day was as relaxing as possible. 

The day was amazing but went far too fast so I guess we'll just have to go back and try some of the other treatments on offer!

Have you ever been to a spa?

Lots of Love,

Heather x













20 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and your mum had a really lovely day! I've actually never been to a spa, but I'd love to go. It seems like such a luxurious experience.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did!! You should definitely go if the opportunity ever arises :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. This looks lovely, I love a good spa day! xx

    Viva Epernay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spas are amazing - I would really like to do a world tour of spas simply because of the different treatments that are usual in other countries!

    Mike from Board Vibes
    http://www.boardvibes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never really thought about treatments being different in other countries! A spa world tour would be incredible!

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. There's not many things I love more than a beautiful, relaxing day at a spa! And to go with my mum would be the best thing ever! Sounds like you two had such a gorgeous time. And that carrot cake has me wanting carrot cake for breakfast haha. xo Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh carrot cake for breakfast would be soo good :) it was a really fab day thanks! Thanks for reading Carly!

      Heather x

      Delete
  5. I've never been to a spa but I really need to get myself to one! Sounds like you had an amazing time, even your photos look relaxing! How awesome that you get such a healthy lunch too :) x

    Always, Alice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do!! Thanks for reading Alice :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. Wow! The place looks so cozy and relaxing. I've never been to a spa before but I have plans of going to a spa. Looks like you had a great time! :) Love the photos.

    x, shekinahjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing, I had a fabulous time. Thanks so much for reading and commenting :)

      Heather x
      http://heatherrrrm.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  7. Wow! sounds like a fun day! no i have never been to a spa, but i really want to after this! im really glad i discovered your blog! love your profile pic on google + btw!

    Vievelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks for such a sweet comment, I hope you get a chance to go to one soon! Thanks!! It was taken in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter...best day EVER!

      Heather x

      Delete
  8. Sounds like such a wonderful relaxing time! I'd love to go to a spa myself one day. Glad you had a nice time too. x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! Need to book another very soon!

      Heather x

      Delete
  9. This spa looks truly amazing! I'm a sucker for spas, I try to take my parents once a month/two months. Loving the look of that lunch box too, it's so cute!

    Love Anna, The Laife Journal x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so kind of you, I wish I could go that often!! It was super good!

      Heather x

      Delete
  10. I love going to spa's and it's definitely one of my favourite ways to spend the day while catching up with my Mum. I'm always impressed by McDonald resorts, the lunches look amazing!

    Scottish Outlander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McDonald resorts have been great each time I've been! Nothing beats a good catch up with mum :) thanks for reading!

      Heather x

      Delete