Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Smile and Be Happy



I love this photo from a trip up North in April, I thought it was quite apt for this post!
Once a week, I volunteer with the Hospital Broadcasting Service Hospital Radio in Glasgow, this is something that I really enjoy and will no doubt post more about in the future. At the minute, I am a Request Collector and so alternate my weeks between visiting patients in the hospital and working at the studio.

This week I was at the hospital where I visit the wards and find out if the patients have anything they'd like to hear when the programme is broadcast. A lot of the patients are happy to get involved and tend to have a request or two. This week however, I visited an older lady who was genuinely excited at the prospect of having a song played just for her. She took a while to mull it over and ended up requesting a hymn. Before I left she told me how grateful she was that I had popped by and what a lovely idea the Hospital Radio was.

I totally agree with her, the Hospital Radio is a lovely idea and for me, it's a nice opportunity to speak to a whole range of interesting people. I always try to go in with a really positive attitude as I guess a lot of the patients will be feeling down but never have I had a patient be quite so happy to see me as this lady was.

Now I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself recently, a result of a combination of shorter days and ever increasing piles of university work but it was so nice to see how I could really brighten someone's day by taking some time out of my own and just being happy.

As cliche as it sounds, life is too short to focus on the negatives all the time and you never know how your positivity will affect someone else.

So, whenever possible, I hope you are able to smile and be happy, it might just make someone's day.

Lots of Love

Heather x

13 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Heather. You're so right, it's really important to try and be positive and spread happiness :)

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimmi :) you're so right!

      Heather x

      Delete
  2. Aw I love the thought of this imagine how bad you feel when your in hospital and then you have a lovely cheerful person talking to you it would instantly make you feel better. I don't have any good memories of hospital I actually think being in there makes you feel worse than you actually are. You are making a difference to peoples lives no matter how big or small you are making a difference and you should be proud of yourself . xox

    http://rainbowsandunicorns27.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely comment :) it means a lot!

      Heather x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I needed this post as at the moment im feeling a little bit down in the dumps but to be totally honest with you there's no reason for me to feel this way! So your right we need to smile a lot more and just be grateful and happy x

    Jess x
    New post up at// I needed this post as at the moment im feeling a little bit down in the dumps but to be totally honest with you there's no reason for me to feel this way! So your right we need to smile a lot more and just be grateful and happy x

    Jess x
    New post up at // www.momentsofbeautywars.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is so sweet :) thank you! I know exactly what you mean and I hope you're feeling better.

      Heather x

      Delete
  4. Aw this is a lovely post :-)

    www.ramblesandbramblesblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! I used to volunteer at the hospital when I was at uni too and I loved it. I wish I had time now that I am working!! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, where did you go to uni? I find it so rewarding :)

      Heather x

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely and thoughtful post. Love your photo too, I spent a lot of time growing up in Kenmore :)

    Kellie xx www.justlikehoney.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie :) the Perthshire area is such a beautiful part of the world!

      Heather x

      Delete